The Five W's of Engineering LeadershipAugust 9, 2017
In the last couple of months, I've had some interesting conversations with my employer about my career. Frankly, I'm not sure what I want to do next. One thing that has come out of these conversations is a simple abstraction I've used to think about different positions and what they do. I've based it on the Five W's.
- Who (individual assignments) - Team Lead
- What - Product Management
- When - Project Management
- Where (which team) - Engineering Manager
- Why - CTO
- How - Architect, Tech Lead
There are plenty of corner cases but at least having some high level abstraction has given me some guidance.